Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Broner-Porter a Done Deal For June 20, NBC Primetime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as the Aside and a guy who proved he was not a real ww weightin in at 144 fighting at 147 i understand the cw...porter just brought up a 140 guy and tried to rough him up while he walks around at 165 so he gets no sympathy from me..
    CW's do not have a bad name with me..there is nothing wrong with a guy who fight at 135 dropping 2 lbs to meet the 130 lineal if the 135 guy isnt an out of shape body draining SOB....FIGHT AT YOUR NATURAL WEIGHT CLASS AND CW MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..commissions have to make this happen by enforcing rehydration clauses on all of their fights...shawn cant make ***ing 147 b/c he' ready a jr middleweight if not a middleweight..

Comment

If Pacquiao can get credit for beating cotto and everyone else in a catch weight fight I don't see why broner can't if he beat porter

Comment

Originally posted by BxDreamz View Post
        If Pacquiao can get credit for beating cotto and everyone else in a catch weight fight I don't see why broner can't if he beat porter
        i blame both fighters..just like i do here..cotto knew he was not a real ww at the time so he gave cw a bad name...pacquiao knew the same about cotto so he drained him....most importantly i blame the commission..make fighters fight at their real weight..and then losing 2 or 3 lbs means nothing..but when your already squezind down 20 trying to stretch it to 23 u gone have a problem..and its all your ****ing fault

Comment

Originally posted by tiliheels View Post
          as the Aside and a guy who proved he was not a real ww weightin in at 144 fighting at 147 i understand the cw...porter just brought up a 140 guy and tried to rough him up while he walks around at 165 so he gets no sympathy from me..
          CW's do not have a bad name with me..there is nothing wrong with a guy who fight at 135 dropping 2 lbs to meet the 130 lineal if the 135 guy isnt an out of shape body draining SOB....FIGHT AT YOUR NATURAL WEIGHT CLASS AND CW MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..commissions have to make this happen by enforcing rehydration clauses on all of their fights...shawn cant make ***ing 147 b/c he' ready a jr middleweight if not a middleweight..
          A better idea would be to abolish catchweights, and enforce better drug testing.

We have 17 divisions today, so find one you like, and stay there.

If YOUR body type does not fit perfectly at THE TOP of your desired division, then hard-fkn-luck for you...... FIT IN, and do whatever you have to do to perform effectively at your chosen weight, take the time to adapt, whatever...... but, DO NOT expect somebody else to accomodate you by diminishing their effectiveness.

If you kill yourself to make weight, then you will pay for it eventually.

The only way this is not fair, is when fighters use supplements (furosemide, or whatever) to make the weight illegally.

NO catchweights, and better drug testing..... problem solved.

The only two reasons why a fighter would require a catchweight is because..... he is not good enough to compete with his opponent because of size disadvantage (so, go back to your own division, and stay there, exhibition matches suck anyways)...... or, you are attempting to drain your opponent to get an unfair advantage (like Marquez just admitted that he did with Mayweather - the solution is the same..... go back to your own division, and stay there, exhibition matches suck anyways).

Comment

Broner's inside game is fantastic. He's actually a better inside fighter than an outside boxer. Should be a slobberknocker.

Comment

Originally posted by B0XEO View Post
              Catchweight and rehydration clause *** off Broner.
              Did you say the same thing about Pacquaio? Pacquaio made a career off of catch weights and weight draining his opponents. Why can't Broner do the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                Broner wins. Drained Porter won't be abke to hurt Broner, who's already pretty solid in the first place. If you're a casual boxing fan and mildly know these two guys this is an awesome fight. If you follow boxing a little more closely as most of is do the 3 lbs Porter is giving up is going to cost him dearly. He knows the cards are stacked against him here and he had to take the fight for the money and exposure. And that fight is a huge gamble for Porter. Not to mention the 11-lb rehydration clause.

The only winner in the negotiations is Broner and Haymon.

I hope I'm wrong with my prediction and everything I just said, I rarely am and don't think I will be here.

Not sure what the penalty is but if I were Porter I'd cheat Broner on the scales.

Broner would probably have the fight cancelled.
                Porter's already many weeks into the camp for this fight, rumored to already be sitting near 154 with plenty of time to go.

weigh in at 144 at Friday afternoon, weigh-in 155 on Saturday (Kenny Porter seems sharp enough, in my opinion, to make sure that that second weigh-in is as early in the day as possible; wouldn't be shocked if the re-weigh-in is contracted to be at noon on Saturday), and then walk into the ring Saturday night in the high 150s.

To assume that he was just starting camp (cutting down his stocky frame to 144 in 6-7 weeks would be a near-impossible task) is silly.

Comment

I give credit to Broner for taking this fight, but Haymon knows best that Porters going to put it on him, it cashing out time on Broner. Porter by UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    money, to be simple about it.

Ignoring whether the fight is held in Cinncinatti(Broner) or Cleveland(Porter), how much money actually gets brought in for the gate of Broner-Porter? And how does that compare to the site fee that is likely offered by the MGM Grand to host the fight?

Broner-Taylor was Broner's homecoming headlining fight in Cincinnati and brought in short of $350k at the gate; Porter-Brook was Porter's only headlining show and those numbers are a bit tougher to come by (not sure why).

The MGM offering up a $1m site fee likely *****s whatever gate Porter and Broner could drum up locally (and shifts the burden of pushing tickets to the MGM Grand), if we're honest about it.

You add that Broner-Porter is headlining one of the five primetime NBC telecasts, and you put the fight on the best looking stage in your sphere (Barclays Center, MGM Grand, Bell Centre, Staples Center [if AEG is open for it], etc)
                    Haymon and Co have shown they are willing to take a loss for the sake of long-term gain. The Las Vegas crowd for the 1st PBC was awful until the last third of the Guerrero-Thurman fight. Having a good crowd enhances the product and having a Ohio/Boxing savy crowd will help build the atmosphere.

Comment

woah. garcia hasnt lost since he faced margarito in 2010. props to spence for taking that fight.

as far broner/porter. sucks it has to happen once they've both caught L's but glad to see broner not scared of this match up

Comment

Working...
                      X