No announcement yet.

AJ's Place In History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJ's Place In History

How do you rank anthony joshua's place in boxing history? Is he an all time great? was he a useless warrior? or was he a completely average boxer? after tonight's loss to dubouis should he quit?
    Last edited by max baer; 09-21-2024, 04:42 PM.

Definitely not a top 20 atg in my opinion. As far as retiring g, that's up to him. He is still a player at heavyweight and can make some good money. Will he ever win a world championship again? Not likely.
    billeau2 billeau2 nathan sturley max baer like this.

Comment

Well he has a place in history. He's part of the big 3(or big 4 if you want to include Usyk in that era) post Klitschko-era. I definitely never considered him greater than Fury and obviously Usyk. He does have more consistency in terms of ranked wins over a prelonged period of time, but lacks those big wins and lacks defining performances that show greatness other than the fight that really made him. The win against a declining Wlad where he got up from the canvas to win by KO.
      nathan sturley max baer likes this.

Comment

One of the top fighters in a quite weak era.

Never rated him too highly myself.
        billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Agree with Iron Dan. His often deluded fan base made life interesting...

Comment

Not even the best British heavyweight of his era. He can take a punch but he can't recover against someone who can pressure after that. Old Klitchko made him go life and death, against a younger one he'd of been out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
              Not even the best British heavyweight of his era. He can take a punch but he can't recover against someone who can pressure after that. Old Klitchko made him go life and death, against a younger one he'd of been out of there.
              do you guys reckon joshua only starting boxing aged 18 meant he lacked natural movement in his body and was more mechanical. It seems that starting very young reaps great benefits or was it that at 34 a boxer is simply too old in his reflexes. Would last night's debouis beat an anthony joshua who beat klitschko? was it more to do with him being 34? Personally I feel it is an uphill battle once a figher is in his mid 30's against a younger man all things being equal.

Comment

I imagine, that in the future he will be seen as another Frank Bruno: Very popular, big, immensely strong puncher - who lacked the necessary chin and stamina to be the absolute best of his era.
                billeau2 billeau2 nathan sturley max baer like this.

Comment

Originally posted by max baer View Post
                  How do you rank anthony joshua's place in boxing history? Is he an all time great? was he a useless warrior? or was he a completely average boxer? after tonight's loss to dubouis should he quit?
                  He has said he will continue,so this thread is premature.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronson66 View Post

He has said he will continue,so this thread is premature.
                    yeah but can you seriously imagine him winning a big fight again?? Not after that. I think we can sum up his career now. It'd be like ali fighting trevor berbeck. It was over after holmes but he had another fight. Not that ali is compared to joshua. I agree with the frank bruno comparison. It is over for aj and he is risking brain damage if he goes on.

Comment

Working...
                    X