No announcement yet.

Terrible Foot Pain when Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bundjalung View Post
    You probably are putting more strain on your plantar fascia during sparring due to the rapid changes in direction and repetitive plantar flexion (calf raises) in sparring. If you had plantar fasciitis, it would throb like a mutha after your workout. Get to a podiatrist or physio for more advice. Usually good shoes with good arch support and heel control, massage and stretching of the plantar fascia with ice should decrease the pain. Hope this helps
    That sounds like the most logical explanation since I do experience a bit of throbbing alongside the pain. I'll definitely schedule an appointment with a podiatrist although my major concern is that the Golden Gloves is only one week away and I'm at a loss in finding a way to remedy the situation. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Wrapping my feet, a certain ointment or specially-designed stretching exercises?

Comment

You might not be happy with this answer but basically your arches are hurting because the main muscle that runs down the arch of your foot (the plantar aponeurosis) is cramping. The reason it only effects you in sparring is because this when you exercise it most. You need to exercise your feet more, double the amount of time (and intensity) you spend jumping rope. Also spend more time on footwork routines. Spend as much time on your toes in training as possible, eventually your plantar aponeurosis will be used to the stress and will not cause you pain.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey gomez View Post
        You might not be happy with this answer but basically your arches are hurting because the main muscle that runs down the arch of your foot (the plantar aponeurosis) is cramping. The reason it only effects you in sparring is because this when you exercise it most. You need to exercise your feet more, double the amount of time (and intensity) you spend jumping rope. Also spend more time on footwork routines. Spend as much time on your toes in training as possible, eventually your plantar aponeurosis will be used to the stress and will not cause you pain.
        Thanks for the input Mickey.

Comment

also... shadow box a lot.. but shadowbox as if your literally fighting someone... dont stop moving... mimick everything you do when you spar.. when you shadowbox... to work the muscles in your foot better... and make sure you dont tie your shoes TOO tight...

Comment

No problem man, I hope it works out for you.

Comment

You can try a taping technique called low dye taping which involves using sports tape to give your plantar fascia more support during sparring. It's like strapping your ankle but for the bottom of your foot. The podiatrist should show you how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bundjalung View Post
                You can try a taping technique called low dye taping which involves using sports tape to give your plantar fascia more support during sparring. It's like strapping your ankle but for the bottom of your foot. The podiatrist should show you how to do it.
                Thanks I'll definitely give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                X