Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Eleider Alvarez: I Was Too Focused on KO, I Want Kovalev Trilogy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Eleider Alvarez: I Was Too Focused on KO, I Want Kovalev Trilogy

This past Saturday night in Texas, Sergey Kovalev became a light heavyweight champion for a third time when he won a twelve round unanimous decision over Eleider Alvarez to capture the WBO title. Last August, Alvarez pulled off one of the most shocking victories of the year when he dropped Kovalev three times to score a knockout in the seventh round.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Good luck with that Lou.

Comment

I'd rather see Alvarez vs Marcus Browne. Let's see where Browne is really at vs a boxer like Alvarez. Alvarez vs Jack would also be a fun matchup. Alvarez vs Barrera would be... less fun, but a viable matchup. Alvarez vs Yarde would be cool. Buatsi. Man any of these guys man. But no one wants to see the Kovalev trilogy until Kovalev moves on to another interesting opponent first, and Alvarez does the same.

Hell, Alvarez could even fight another champ. Alvarez vs Bivol, Beterbiev, or Gvozdyk are still good fights. Stylistically maybe not as good as Browne vs Alvarez, but still good matchups. We want to see Alvarez vs those guys, Kovalev vs Bivol, Beterbiev, or Zurdo, then there will be more interesting possibilities after that. But unlucky for Alvarez, the Kovalev-Alvarez fights felt somewhat to Kovalev fans like getting stuck in the mud right before finally seeing the fights we really wanted to see, like Kovalev vs Bivol, so now that Kovalev finally just got through that mud, it's unlikely you will convince most Kovalev fans to go back into it right away.

Credit to Alvarez though, he makes for some real strong mud, and a real strong boxer. Really like him as a person too. Felt bad that he lost, even though I wanted Kovalev to win. One of those fights where the boxer might have been too tough for their own good. But, Im hoping the fact that Kovalev was still boxing off the back foot most the fight, and that the punches landed on Alvarez ears not his chin mostly, means Alvarez didn't take TOO much punishment.

Comment

It wasn't as if Kov didn't have things under control up to the ko rd. The rematch showed who's who.

Comment

It was pretty obvious after the 1st few rounds that Alvarez strategy was to basically walk Kovalev down while swinging for the fences with every shot. Both lost to each other for the same reasons, overconfidence. In the 1st fight Sergey threw punches in bunches assuming he would eventually stop Alvarez & instead gassed out & got caught with heavy punches. Alvarez who I feel could have stopped Kovalev again with a sustained body attack just gave the fight away by walking in behind a high guard and throwing single predictable shots. Did he & his corner really think they would stop a seasoned pro like Kovalev with such a basic plan of attack & with McGirt working the corner? The plan in rematch (likely Buddy's) was to let up on his punches a bit to conserve energy for later rounds & avoid a 2nd KO loss partly due to fatigue. The plan worked to perfection, but I do feel a properly prepared Alvarez, with maybe a new trainer should be more than capable of stopping a soon to be 36yr old Kovlev (who can't take it downstairs) in a rubber match.

Comment

Kovalev had a rematch clause... What about Alvarez ? ....

Comment

I want to see Alvarez fight Beterbiev or browne, no appetite to see him fight Kov again.

Comment

you are just a bum who got lucky like ward. cept you stopped him with legit punches and didnt need bad refs and judging to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Superbee View Post
                  Kovalev had a rematch clause... What about Alvarez ? ....
                  The rematch clause was part of the agreement in their first fight and it was solely Kovalev’s call and his team to either exercise the said clause or waive it. Hence, Alvarez did not have a choice whatsoever and was legally obligated to honor the contract to have a second fight with the Russian.

Comment

Everytime alvarez touch him he hurt him he just didnt let his hands go enough. Kovalev isnt the same and if he fight any of the other 3 champions he's going to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X