Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gabriel Campillo Explains Decision To Retire From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Gabriel Campillo Explains Decision To Retire From Boxing

Following two successive early knockout defeats in a row and after months of consideration, Spain’s Gabriel Campillo (25-8-1, 12 KOs) has decided to retire from the sport of boxing. Having achieved success as the WBA light heavyweight champion along with a successful defence of that belt, Gabriel at one time was considered one of the best fighters in the division. The general consensus was that he was also on the end of some disgraceful judging, not least in his rematch with Beibut Shumenov and in his IBF title challenge to Tavoris Cloud. Speaking to krikya360.com, Campillo reflected back on the key moments of his career in his usual affable and well-spoken manner.

[Click Here To Read More]

Good choice, I never really liked him his legs always looked unsteady to me like he had weak knees or soemthing. But he gave us alot of decent fights in his many L's and few W's but dude had a murderious row of oppenents. Kovalev, Arthur Betebiev, Fonfara, cloud etc all power punchers.

Comment

Glad to hear, great decision.

He got KO'd by Beterbiev, he was out on the ropes and Beterbiev just walked away. If he would have landed a few more, he could have got hurt bad.

Too bad some other fighters can't follow suit, quit before you end up hurt.

Comment

Campillo was a great fighter, not afraid of any challenge. ******man could take a cue from Campillo, that's for certain.

His VICTORY over Cloud was indeed an excellent fight. Rest easy champ, and thanx for the many great fights.

Comment

Campillo was a pretty solid fighter at one point, and was screwed out of potentially being a unified world champion going into the Kovalev fight. I always liked watching him fight.

I'm glad he's retiring, and hope he finds something that allows him to be happy out of the ring. Campillo always had vulnerabilities early in fights, but now he no longer has the reflexes to survive those rough moments early. He's become a name to wipe out early, and he deserves better.

Comment

Rethinking of those robberies and damn what a fuccing disgrace. He probably lose alot of money
            But good choice retiring EL CHICO GUAPO!!

Comment

We need more fighters like Campillo. He fought EVERYONE!

Comment

Camille was an underrated fight but I'm glad to hear about this retirement. After the lose to Beterbiev, I had enough. Campillo has been a gatekeeper and been robbed too many times. Time to call it a career.

Comment

Campillo in his prime was a ridiculously fun fighter to watch. Something about the way he moved and threw combos was pretty unique. Too bad about his chin. He'll be missed.

Comment

One of my favorite fighters who had a lot of bad decisions handed to him. Slick southpaw with not a lot of power but good movement and threw combinations from all angles. He only lost to top notch fighters, Kovalev is a beast right now, Fonfara has beaten some good fighters, Beterbiev looks like the goods, and well Cloud he won that fight and Cloud was undefeated but Campillo schooled him with the exception of the first round and maybe 1 or 2 other rds at that. He beat Garay who was champ and beat Shumenov in Kazakhstan only to get robbed in the rematch that was just as bad as the Cloud robbery he put on a clinic and busted Shumenov up yet he got his belt snatched. He was beating Fonfara until he got caught with a good shot, and he beat Thomas Williams Jr busted him up and he was considered a good prospect im glad he at least got that win on national tv before he called it a career. Beterbiev and Browne are big punchers no shame going out to them, he had a good career true fans will remember him as a warrior who used good ring generalship and was fan friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X