No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin's Promoter Rejects Talk of PPV Doing Poorly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    150k PPV, plus Canadian PPV, plus European and Asian viewers, and a sold out MSG is not bad at all.

Remember, K2 didn't make this PPV because they thought it was going to do big numbers. They did it because that was the only way to generate enough revenue to pay Lemieux what he was asking for fighting Golovkin when he didn't need to do it.
    .... HBO, according to other posters on this site, has a pattern of lumping US/Canada buys into the same number, so there's that....

And Canelo Alvarez put 40k people into the building for that Kirkland fight; that little caveat about selling $15 tickets was probably why the actual gate was maybe $1.5m.

Facts have a tricky way of clearing away picture distortions.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      You're so dumb, Johnson on Ppv lol. Just zero clue over and over again
      Golovkin made $2m as his guarantee for the Lemieux fight.

How much of the HBO budget do you earnestly believe HBO is willing to commit to Golovkin's next fight?

The arguments used to justify moving Golovkin-Lemieux to PPV are a lot of the same arguments that will be present for Golovkin-Lemieux, especially if HBO continues on with their Golovkin/Gonzalez couplet.

You pull Lemieux from the Golovkin-Lemieux fight and you're still looking at a payout to the fighters of $2.5m, lol. (even if Golovkin is willing to go back to his payout for the Monroe fight, Johnson isn't going to take the fight for free).

If you honestly believe that HBO is going to shell out $3m for a 18:1 fight, you're the one with no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        I predicted 225-250k, but it had nothing to do with Lemieux. I based my prediction on the recent ticket sales figures for GGG, combined with the strength of the HBO platform and marketing machine. I assumed that pretty much any HBO ppv was good for 200k plus, regardless of who was on. Because you have to go back 11 years to Klitschko-Danny Williams to find an HBO ppv that did below 200k buys.

So I stand corrected..........
        We know the u.s. buys, what this did in Canada is anyones guess so far. I wouldn't say this was underwhelming as some would, I just think ppl are so used to seeing several hundred that they forget cards with two bonafide stars have under performed...look at cotto vs martinez as recent memory. For a $3.5 million purse combined at 150,000 buys its profitable, no including gate plus sponsor this probably made more money per dollar spent on hosting it than most others.

Comment

Working...
        X