No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "The Ghost" Crashes The Welterweight Mix With Big Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: "The Ghost" Crashes The Welterweight Mix With Big Win

By Cliff Rold - Returning from a lengthy layoff due to a shoulder injury, 29-year old former Featherweight and Jr. Lightweight titlist Robert Guerrero (30-1-1, 18 KO) f Gilroy, California, stepped up two classes from his last bout at Lightweight to score a wide but competitive unanimous decision against big punching 28-year old Turkish Welterweight Selcuk Aydin (23-1, 17 KO) of Hamburg, Germany on Saturday night at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Guerrero added an interim Welterweight title to his trophy case, a distinction he also picked up at Lightweight.

[Click Here To Read More]

badass night of boxing. Porter is a badass. He's strong and was doubling and tripling that stiff jab of his all night. I want more

Comment

SHOWTIME put on another great show. I'm looking forward to september 8th, Bailey vs Alexander "THE WAR". Guerrero won't get Mayweather, so Guerrero/Khan sounds good.

Comment

War GUERRERO!!

It was a great night of boxing both fights where full of action. The ghost is legit tho! fits perfect in the Welterweight division, he took some of Aydins hard shots took it well and did what he had to do. There was times when I thouhg Robert was about to gas out but then he would come back strong with a lot of nice beautiful combinations. There's a lot of people hating on Guerrero but he came thru and shut a lot mouths! I'm happy for him, he's an awesome guy outside the ring and a badass inside the ring! Much RESPECT for you Guerrero!

Comment

This was not a "big" fight. Aydin hasn't beaten anyone of significance. I don't think that Guerrero was very impressive. A fight with Mayweather would be dull and one-sided. If I were Mayweather, I would realize that the WBC can be safely ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by etradervic View Post
            This was not a "big" fight. Aydin hasn't beaten anyone of significance. I don't think that Guerrero was very impressive. A fight with Mayweather would be dull and one-sided. If I were Mayweather, I would realize that the WBC can be safely ignored.
            This was a fabulous two fight broadcast.
            Robert showed guts, talent and a big heart in his very first encounter at 147. For a first effort at that weight it was a gem of a contest.
            Aydin was an unbeaten fighter and one could see the trouble he could create for any one.
            Given the nature of the 147 pound division and the faltering performances of Khan and Ortiz this puts The Ghost in a solid position.
            Berto and Peterson hurt themselves and will not be rewarded for it with title shots.
            Garcia is still too green.

Cotto showed what aggression without skill could accomplish in Floyds world.
            Fresh out of prison with older legs and a fading skill set, Mayweather has few choices.
            Khan is the bigger risk.
            But Robert provides an articulate combo of boxing savvy and severe will.

One sided? Nope.
            Last edited by StrangerInTown; 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM. Reason: Left out text

Comment

I wouldn't say he crashed the WW rankings as I think the Ring just had Aydin rated because they needed spots to fill.... not quite sure how Guerrero will do against any of the other top 10 WW's right now.... but he'll have time to get back into his groove and fill out the class.
              NO doubt the Ring will have him rated along with other places in the top 10

Comment

I give props to the Ghost for fighting a tough and game Aydin. After a long layoff due to injury .He fought well and got the win plus he had a good turnout at the Shark tank why hate?

Comment

Originally posted by etradervic View Post
                  I agree with you. It wasn't a really a big fight. Aydin may haven't beaten any notable opponent, but he looked like he could've taken down Guerrero anytime that night. I waited for Aydin to let it loose and go for the kill, but it never happened. It's too bad too cause Aydin had the right hand working for him almost automatically when he threw it, and with power. Unfortunately for him he didn't throw too much.

Guerrero deserved the win through sheer will, but he wasn't impressive. He was moved everytime Aydin threw the right, and was backpedaling most of the time for the first tiime in a fight. I gotta give it to Aydin, he looked natural and seemed like he could've been something special, but he got what he deserved.

Comment

Working...
                  X