No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Teen-ager Ray Ximenez a Quick Study in The Fight Game

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Teen-ager Ray Ximenez a Quick Study in The Fight Game

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Math class. English class. Science class. Lunch.

It’s just another Tuesday at just another Texas high school.

But while some join classmates at band practice or friends on the football field at day’s end, Ray Ximenez Jr. continues laying groundwork toward a far different post-commencement career:

World champion boxer.

“I’m just a regular kid, really, like anyone else there. I hang out with friends and I try to get good grades,” said the 18-year-old, a student at John Leslie Patton Jr. Academic Center in Dallas. “But when I get home, I go to the gym and I work. That’s my job and I don’t miss a day.”

Ximenez punched the pro clock for the second time last week and was the star of ESPN’s pre-Super Bowl show, dominating Alfredo Berto for every second of four rounds en route to a unanimous decision in the second of a three-bout Friday Night Fights card at the Fort Worth Convention Center.

The win, four months after his one-sided defeat of Cristoval Larrazolo in a nearby Grand Prairie debut, ran the precocious youngster’s record to 2-0 and warranted the nearly 12 straight minutes of praise it drew from an obviously impressed Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas.

But even SportsCenter highlights won’t get him out of doing homework.

“He’s a good kid. He’s focused. He doesn’t give us any trouble. And we want to make sure he stays that way,” said Ximenez’s watchful father, Ray Sr., who trains the youngest of his four children. “We try to strike a balance and we give him his freedom, and there’s never once been a problem.” [Click Here To Read More]

I'll follow this kid,Hopefully he gets with a big promoter.

Comment

I was impressed...I assume that power will develop as his body matures. But he looked very fluid and precise. Breaking the mold if you will from your standard wild slugger.

Comment

he doesn't have that "Manchild" thing going

but he looks to be a hell of a young boxer

i havn't heard much about his experience in the amateurs
        i'd be interested to know if he was a champion at the national or world level

he has a very professional style additionally

fun kid to watch. i'll certainly remember the name

Comment

First time I ever seen or heard of the kid watching him that night. What impressed me more was how calm and professional he looked that night.

For a kid with only 2 fights he seems way ahead of the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            First time I ever seen or heard of the kid watching him that night. What impressed me more was how calm and professional he looked that night.

For a kid with only 2 fights he seems way ahead of the curve.
            you know who looks good for only 2 professional fights? jesse magdaleno,that guy looks poised,calm...good combinations i mean for only 2 fights,wait until he has like 20 with more experience

Comment

Originally posted by lopez36 View Post
              you know who looks good for only 2 professional fights? jesse magdaleno,that guy looks poised,calm...good combinations i mean for only 2 fights,wait until he has like 20 with more experience
              I noticed him too. Some good young guys coming up who at least look relaxed in the ring.

Comment

lets not forget jose benavidez guys

Comment

He looked green yeah, but his athleticism is great. Dude was quick, sharp, and agile as he whooped arse. Once he matures, he will be a champ...no questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X