No announcement yet.

Ultimate Arcade question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Arcade question

sup guys, my co worker just gave me her Ultimate Arcade cabinet.

1.jpg

Everything seems to work pretty good

One thing I've noticed is that after selecting a game, the red exit button doesn't exit the game. In order to select another game, you have to turn it off and back on.

Any idea if this is something to do with the physical button or something inside?

I'm able to press the physical button and there doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with it, but I'm not sure why it's not going back to the main menu to select a different game

I was able to find it online, and I'm pretty sure it's this one:

The volume is super loud too, I'm going to need to figure out how to get to the settings to lower it, but the main thing right now is that exit button working.

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by HrNY; 12-16-2022, 04:28 PM.

The website doesn't give much information. Give me some time to find and watch a video of it in operation.

All I can say at the moment is those games do not all run on the same board, so, it's probably a loose connection or a software issue. I'll have a better idea once I see the thing working though. If you can make videos I can probably walk you through how to fix it. I'm a bit of a collector. I didn't mean to be but they keep coming out and I keep buying them so now I have about 20. Ran into all sorts of interesting issues myself. I'm pretty confident we can get the button and volume sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonCheese View Post
      The website doesn't give much information. Give me some time to find and watch a video of it in operation.

All I can say at the moment is those games do not all run on the same board, so, it's probably a loose connection or a software issue. I'll have a better idea once I see the thing working though. If you can make videos I can probably walk you through how to fix it. I'm a bit of a collector. I didn't mean to be but they keep coming out and I keep buying them so now I have about 20. Ran into all sorts of interesting issues myself. I'm pretty confident we can get the button and volume sorted.
      Hi, thanks, much appreciated for the response.

When I tried the arcade, I played on the player 1 side and everything worked fine. Yesterday was the first time I tried to play on the 2nd player side, and noticed that in addition to the exit button not working, these buttons weren't working either:

1.jpg

those two buttons didn't work, and I noticed my character in street fighter was moving to the right when I wasn't touching the joy stick. Moving it up and down also didn't make the character jump or duck.

I tried another game (1942) and if I moved the joystick to the right, the plane moved left, and if I moved the joystick to the left, the plane moved right.

My friend and I unscrewed the screws to open it up to check on the wires, my friend moved a wire over and we were able to get the exit button working; however we now noticed that this button wasn't working:

Untitled.jpg

Besides that button not working, the joystick was now able to go up and down, but no longer could go left and right lol

We left at that and was thinking of trying to call the Chicago gaming number on the machine to see if they still answer their phone and ask them if they think it's just the wires and if getting new buttons/joystick will fix it or if it's something else, my friend and I aren't sure.

I found their website with the parts

Found their user manual too

(the volume was an easy fix. apparently if you press the coin return, it brings you to the settings option, so i was able to adjust the volume there. I was tempted to do a factory reset, but wasn't sure if the buttons not working was more hardware than software. glad i didn't do it since we saw that it's most likely hardware with the wires. also glad I didn't do it because i wasn't sure if i did do a factory reset, if it would've deleted everything and i would've needed the back up cd, which i don't have)

Thanks again
      Last edited by HrNY; 12-18-2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HrNY View Post

Hi, thanks, much appreciated for the response.

When I tried the arcade, I played on the player 1 side and everything worked fine. Yesterday was the first time I tried to play on the 2nd player side, and noticed that in addition to the exit button not working, these buttons weren't working either:

1.jpg

those two buttons didn't work, and I noticed my character in street fighter was moving to the right when I wasn't touching the joy stick. Moving it up and down also didn't make the character jump or duck.

I tried another game (1942) and if I moved the joystick to the right, the plane moved left, and if I moved the joystick to the left, the plane moved right.

My friend and I unscrewed the screws to open it up to check on the wires, my friend moved a wire over and we were able to get the exit button working; however we now noticed that this button wasn't working:

Untitled.jpg

Besides that button not working, the joystick was now able to go up and down, but no longer could go left and right lol

We left at that and was thinking of trying to call the Chicago gaming number on the machine to see if they still answer their phone and ask them if they think it's just the wires and if getting new buttons/joystick will fix it or if it's something else, my friend and I aren't sure.

I found their website with the parts

Found their user manual too

(the volume was an easy fix. apparently if you press the coin return, it brings you to the settings option, so i was able to adjust the volume there. I was tempted to do a factory reset, but wasn't sure if the buttons not working was more hardware than software. glad i didn't do it since we saw that it's most likely hardware with the wires. also glad I didn't do it because i wasn't sure if i did do a factory reset, if it would've deleted everything and i would've needed the back up cd, which i don't have)

Thanks again
        There should be people in your town who can fix this thing up for you

Comment

any idea how much this ultimate arcade 2 could sell for.

i'm seeing online anywhere from 600 to 3400 lol

how much would you pay for something like this?

I don't know if I want to deal with all this trying to fix it up stuff, I was thinking of putting it up for $500 and calling it a day.

Is that too low?

I saw this that someone's calling it "rare"

Comment

any idea how much this ultimate arcade 2 could sell for.

i'm seeing online anywhere from 600 to 3400 lol

how much would you pay for something like this?

I don't know if I want to deal with all this trying to fix it up stuff, I was thinking of putting it up for $500 and calling it a day.

Is that too low?

I saw this that someone's calling it "rare"

Fixing

Actually, based on your other posts I'm pretty sure you have a simple hardware problem. So before I answer the money stuff let me just get what I would do about it out of the way. Also, I apologize. I am sick and kind of forgot about this post, hence why I've not responded in a while.

Buttons, sticks and trackballs are actually really cheap. You can replace the entire thing with new controls for about 30 bucks US and the wiring is so easy any child who can handle Legos could manage. I would do that. If you're interested I'll look around for you for a simple solution. No soldering required. No programming knowledge required. Really easy plug-n-play stuff that should all fit in and work with your cab exactly as is. It does sound like a control board issue so you might want to start there but personally I would replace everything, control board, sticks, buttons, all of it because they are cheap and once you're in there you may as well know you fixed it.

Watching it play on Youtube I am very confident this is emulation on Emulation Station or LaunchBox or some such similar UI. Which is actually a good thing because it is able to play the games 1:1 to the original models but more importantly makes it easy to upgrade. I did not find a tear down video but I'd bet anything it's all running on a mid 90s PC. To interface with the CRT without getting soapy images. Like 93-98. The Pentium years. It should be very easy to fix, add games, upgrade performance etc. and CHEAP. 90s PC parts are terribly cheap now. So my advice is don't get frustrated, don't sell, just take a look inside beyond the coin door into the actual cab and see if it's a PC driven thing. I strongly feel you should at least have a look inside and think about if you're willing to lego it. If you want to mess with the UI or add games I'm always here to ask about it.

Money.

I would easily pay 1500 US for something like this in perfectly working condition and 2500 for something that has no cosmetic flaws but I did no research into current pricing. Just based on what I saw and what I have paid. 500 seems a bit low unless the buyer is paying for shipping as well. Then it's about 750 to a grand - ish total cost on the buyer. Maybe more, it does look heavy. Given it isn't in perfect working order 500-1000 seems fair to me depending on how you handle shipping it. If I was selling I would list high and let it slide down as low as whatever you paid for it. If it was free letting it go for 150 still puts 150 in your pocket for doing basically nothing.

Currently I'm waiting on a Power Mad Arcade to come in and buying another one so close to Christmas would probably get me into the ****s with the ol ball-n-chain but if you still want to sell come April or some such similar well beyond the holiday months send me a DM and I'll consider adding it. I don't have one and it does look pretty cool. If you just want to move it, now, quickly, list it at 500. Arcades don't sell very fast in my experience so to get someone quickly you'll need to give them a deal they feel like they need to hop on.

Hope this helps.
            HrNY HrNY likes this.

Comment

Fixing

Actually, based on your other posts I'm pretty sure you have a simple hardware problem. So before I answer the money stuff let me just get what I would do about it out of the way. Also, I apologize. I am sick and kind of forgot about this post, hence why I've not responded in a while.

Buttons, sticks and trackballs are actually really cheap. You can replace the entire thing with new controls for about 30 bucks US and the wiring is so easy any child who can handle Legos could manage. I would do that. If you're interested I'll look around for you for a simple solution. No soldering required. No programming knowledge required. Really easy plug-n-play stuff that should all fit in and work with your cab exactly as is. It does sound like a control board issue so you might want to start there but personally I would replace everything, control board, sticks, buttons, all of it because they are cheap and once you're in there you may as well know you fixed it.

Watching it play on Youtube I am very confident this is emulation on Emulation Station or LaunchBox or some such similar UI. Which is actually a good thing because it is able to play the games 1:1 to the original models but more importantly makes it easy to upgrade. I did not find a tear down video but I'd bet anything it's all running on a mid 90s PC. To interface with the CRT without getting soapy images. Like 93-98. The Pentium years. It should be very easy to fix, add games, upgrade performance etc. and CHEAP. 90s PC parts are terribly cheap now. So my advice is don't get frustrated, don't sell, just take a look inside beyond the coin door into the actual cab and see if it's a PC driven thing. I strongly feel you should at least have a look inside and think about if you're willing to lego it. If you want to mess with the UI or add games I'm always here to ask about it.

Money.

I would easily pay 1500 US for something like this in perfectly working condition and 2500 for something that has no cosmetic flaws but I did no research into current pricing. Just based on what I saw and what I have paid. 500 seems a bit low unless the buyer is paying for shipping as well. Then it's about 750 to a grand - ish total cost on the buyer. Maybe more, it does look heavy. Given it isn't in perfect working order 500-1000 seems fair to me depending on how you handle shipping it. If I was selling I would list high and let it slide down as low as whatever you paid for it. If it was free letting it go for 150 still puts 150 in your pocket for doing basically nothing.

Currently I'm waiting on a Power Mad Arcade to come in and buying another one so close to Christmas would probably get me into the ****s with the ol ball-n-chain but if you still want to sell come April or some such similar well beyond the holiday months send me a DM and I'll consider adding it. I don't have one and it does look pretty cool. If you just want to move it, now, quickly, list it at 500. Arcades don't sell very fast in my experience so to get someone quickly you'll need to give them a deal they feel like they need to hop on.

Hope this helps.
              Thanks man, that helped a lot, appreciate the information. Will keep you posted. Hopefully you're feeling better too.
              Last edited by HrNY; 12-21-2022, 03:00 PM.
              MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Thanks man, that helped a lot, appreciate the information. Will keep you posted. Hopefully you're feeling better too.
                Not so bad anymore, just lingering congestion. I appreciate the kindness.

Comment

Not so bad anymore, just lingering congestion. I appreciate the kindness.
                  Sup man, just wanted to say thank you again for your time and assistance.

I ran a diagnostic to test the buttons, I was able to get the red exit button working, but now the joystick is stuck on going right and the top 3rd button is now stuck.

1.jpg

Here's a picture of what I'm seeing of the wires:

center.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

I've attached pictures of what I'm seeing. To me it looks like everything on the left side, matches everything on the right side.

I'm not sure how to get the joystick to line back up in the middle and stop being stuck on going "right"(character in Street fighter moves to its right without touching the joystick, it'll jump it I tap up or duck if I tap down, but won't go left)

Comment

Working...
                  X