Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Michael Hunter-Chauncy Welliver on Ramirez-Lopez Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rarely mention it about fighters, but IMO Chauncey needs to retire before he gets really hurt. Stories I've read lately don't sound promising though. His life is an unorganized series of missteps, and he doesn't take care of his health. A bad combo in a dangerous vocation like boxing. A good guy, trains amateurs in his hometown. But at the tail end of a long career, he's lost something like a half dozen in a row... and that chin will soon fail him big time. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
      I rarely mention it about fighters, but IMO Chauncey needs to retire before he gets really hurt. Stories I've read lately don't sound promising though. His life is an unorganized series of missteps, and he doesn't take care of his health. A bad combo in a dangerous vocation like boxing. A good guy, trains amateurs in his hometown. But at the tail end of a long career, he's lost something like a half dozen in a row... and that chin will soon fail him big time. SMH
      He has three chins so he can have one fail .

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
        Yeah I remember you sharing an interesting article about him in the last Chauncy thread about the Cassius Chaney fight.

I also find it difficult to watch guys like this get beat up for some minor cash but I'm guessing he doesn't have much to fall back on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackR0bbb View Post
          I have no idea why this guy isn't matched better.
          He's high risk, low reward. Hunter is known in boxing circles but he doesn't bring enough interest for most of the top fighters to take the risk of losing or looking bad against him.

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
            He chose to fight these guys . He was offered Hrgovic again but decided on easy fights like he’s doing here . He’s playing it safe until the IBF mandatory is offered to him which is most likely Martin .
            Not according to this article regarding Hrgovic's next opponent:

'It would be to be expected then that some first talks were initiated on this issue. And there should be no big problems with Hunter for very interesting reasons. Namely, he recently terminated his contract with Matchroom and intends to take care of his career for some time to come.

There was no contact

But that there was still no contact, he revealed in an interview for the Boxing scene. "They haven't called me yet, and they all have my number. Neither Sauerland nor Eddie Hearn. They say I'm a difficult person to negotiate, and I can tell you that no one talked to me about the match against Filip Hrgovic," he said.

Hunter, adding that he had asked for the match before: Hrgović and I fought twice on the same program last year. I fought harder opponents every time and after the match I would ask them 'Why don't you want to let me fight Filip Hrgović?' They told me that he was still green and that they were just preparing him for that caliber of fighting.

If he is ready, so am I. I am absolutely ready to fight Hrgović, in fact I have asked for it a couple of times already. "

Comment

Originally posted by theface07 View Post
              He's high risk, low reward. Hunter is known in boxing circles but he doesn't bring enough interest for most of the top fighters to take the risk of losing or looking bad against him.
              Good assessment. I can agree with that. I was thinking Wilder needs to fight a Michael Hunter or two before getting back in with Fury.

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
                Yeah I remember you sharing an interesting article about him in the last Chauncy thread about the Cassius Chaney fight.

I also find it difficult to watch guys like this get beat up for some minor cash but I'm guessing he doesn't have much to fall back on.
                Agreed 100%.

Comment

Working...
                X