Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sullivan Barrera to face Sergey Kovalev or Dmitry Bivol in 2018?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Sullivan Barrera to face Sergey Kovalev or Dmitry Bivol in 2018?

Light heavyweight contender Sullivan Barrera faces Felix Valera this Saturday night as part of the HBO triple-header from the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York. Should he come out victorious, he will be in prime position to land a title shot in the spring of 2018.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Barrera vs Bivol should happen next.
    Winner should face Kova in unification.

Comment

Floyd's Mask

Comment

Beterbiev vs Kovalev, Bivol vs Barrera. Winners face each other. One guy takes all.

Comment

Bivol vs Barrera is more interesting to me because it welcomes a new potential top name to the game. Barrera and Kovalev on the other hand are both former Ward foes, and one IMO bettered Ward over the 20 rounds they fought under corrupt circumstances, while the other barely won a round and looked too slow for the top level.

So if Bivol dominates Barrera, it tells us something new. If Kovalev dominates Barrera, it's just kind of expected and boring.

Plus, Badou Jack has been calling out Kovalev. Assuming Stevenson keeps ducking Kovalev, Jack is an interesting fight for him because once again, it's another new face to 175, Jack that is. It's not anywhere near as good a fight as Kovalev-Beterbiev, however.

I would like to see Kovalev vs Jack, Bivol vs Barrera, Stevenson vs Beterbiev, and Gvozdyk vs Alvarez or Joe Smith. Then, Kovalev vs Stevenson/Beterbiev winner, and Bivol vs Gvozdyk. Then, winners fight.

I just want to see the best fight the best. Take the actual top talents in the division (aka the guys with both skills AND power, not just skills), like Kovalev, Beterbiev, Bivol, Gvozdyk, and maybe Stevenson and Jack, and maybe even Joe Smith just because he's got such a big punch that he's still an intriguing opponent, and mix and match. There's 7 guys. Add Barrera, since he's done well recently, and that's 8. 8 fighters, 4 fights in a quarterfinal round, then go from there with seminfinals and a loser's bracket, and then finals and a second loser's bracket, and then the winners of the loser's brackets fight each other coming off big wins, and just keep mixing and matching the best matchups from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
            Yeah Main Events not too shabby with their rankings for Kova and Barrera. I still think Barrera is a risky fight for Kovalev. If Kova loses to the Cuban, he might retire. Main Events would focus on Sullivan, too much to bare for Sergey

Comment

He should fight Gvozdyk for the vacant WBO title!

Comment

Originally posted by minemax View Post
                He should fight Gvozdyk for the vacant WBO title!
                ... instead, it's Kovalev who fights for the vacant WBO belt... on Saturday...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  ... instead, it's Kovalev who fights for the vacant WBO belt... on Saturday...
                  Indeed, thanks! For some reason I didn't know that Kovalev vs Shabranskyy was a title fight...

The modern boxing is really weird - guys which are #2 and #10 in the WBO ranking fight for the title...

Comment

Originally posted by minemax View Post
                    Indeed, thanks! For some reason I didn't know that Kovalev vs Shabranskyy was a title fight...

The modern boxing is really weird - guys which are #2 and #10 in the WBO ranking fight for the title...
                    The Ring ranks Kovalev at #5 P4P, and at #2 at LHW...
                    TBRB ranks him at #2 LHW...
                    ESPN ranks Kovalev at #9 P4P, and at #2 at LHW...

Comment

Working...
                    X