Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rio Ferdinand's Boxing debut is a Distasteful Cash Grab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Rio Ferdinand's Boxing debut is a Distasteful Cash Grab

Having played football all my life and started boxing at a relatively late age I have a fairly astute idea of what might await Rio Ferdinand ahead of his pro debut. The 38-year-old former Manchester United and England defender is currently training for his first ever fight. I'm not trying to compare my football career to Ferdinand's. He won the Champion's League once and the Premier League six times whereas my greatest achievement was winning the 6 a side tournament organized by the local council in Hua Hin earlier this year.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Football is a girls sport these days
    Rio needs a way to unleash his ped fueled fire

Comment

Did you win a Southern Singapore Interim Asian Area pan Pacific title . . . If not . . . WHY NOT?

Comment

Rio is ******... Just stay in your lane & be retired.

You had an amazing career in soccer but you're not a boxer.

Comment

I'd love to see him get beat just so people would stop doing this.

You can't just come in and BS our sport.

Comment

Completely disagree. There's a lot more to it than that he's rich enough he wouldn't do this strictly for the money.

This is a man who's lost his wife and mother recently lord knows what he's going through. He must be angry and frustrated boxing is a good way to deal with those emotions I'm sure that's more of a factor than the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
              Completely disagree. There's a lot more to it than that he's rich enough he wouldn't do this strictly for the money.

This is a man who's lost his wife and mother recently lord knows what he's going through. He must be angry and frustrated boxing is a good way to deal with those emotions I'm sure that's more of a factor than the money.
              Of course he has plenty of money, but to turn pro when you're almost 40? No problem with him boxing to remove stress but it's going to be the definition of a circus event. Just like when Freddie Flintoff tried it, it's just gonna be a bad look. Not just for boxing but for him too, he'll probably end up regretting it.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                Of course he has plenty of money, but to turn pro when you're almost 40? No problem with him boxing to remove stress but it's going to be the definition of a circus event. Just like when Freddie Flintoff tried it, it's just gonna be a bad look. Not just for boxing but for him too, he'll probably end up regretting it.
                I understand why people would disagree with it. But to describe it as nothing more than a distasteful cash grab is doing Rio a disservice I'm certain there's more to it than money.

I don't think it will be a bad look for boxing. It's not like he'll be fighting a world champ or have the fight on ppv. If anything it will draw a few extra eyes to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
                  I understand why people would disagree with it. But to describe it as nothing more than a distasteful cash grab is doing Rio a disservice I'm certain there's more to it than money.

I don't think it will be a bad look for boxing. It's not like he'll be fighting a world champ or have the fight on ppv. If anything it will draw a few extra eyes to the sport.
                  I wouldn't say it's a total cash grab, if he wants to try it let him try it. I just don't think it should be a main event or worse somehow be on someone's PPV. If he takes it seriously and fights someone decent and looks good I guess it will be okay, on the other hand if the opposite happens it'll look really bad. We'll see, but when you hear about things like this the first reaction is always inevitably "Here we go again, another circus" just to get some easy money at the fans expense".

Comment

Its not a cash grab but I do question Rio's judgement.

He recently lost his wife to cancer and now has to raise a young family alone.

It is a wise choice to take up proffesional boxing at 40 years of age with no prior experience?

Comment

Working...
                    X