Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Santa Cruz: Mares Surprised Early, But I Figured Him Out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Santa Cruz: Mares Surprised Early, But I Figured Him Out

Los Angeles, CA - In a battle of Southern California featherweights, Leo "El Terremoto" Santa Cruz, (31-0-1, 17 KOs) defeated Abner Mares, (29-2-1, 15 KOs) by majority decision in a fight reminiscent of Mexican wars between boxing legends Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales on Saturday night. Scores tallied 117-111 twice and 114-114 in front of a raucous crowd of 13,109 at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles for the Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN main event. [Click Here To Read More]

AMAZING performance by Leo. I am a Santa Cruz fan and was rooting for him but he even surprised me tbh, I was not expecting that. That's exactly what I said prior to the fight, he needed to step it up a notch in terms of energy and awareness, and he did. It was beautiful watching how both of them brought out the best out of each other though. So much heart and pride from both, two young hungry lions going at it.

One of those fights where you end up on your feet and thinking, this is why I love boxing. The only thing I didn't like was Mares holding excessively/unnecessarily and the ref being a ****ing old senile ****** who allowed it and was so hands off and slow with his reffing. But aside from that, hell of a fight.

WAR LEOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah and all of that on free tv I wanna thank Al Haymon, God, my family and friends...

Comment

Mares just couldn't keep up that kind of fight. He was outgunned. You could tell by the middle of the fight that he had nothing else to offer and Santa Cruz was taking over.

Comment

Originally posted by Boskop View Post
          Yeah and all of that on free tv I wanna thank Al Haymon, God, my family and friends...
          ... count me in -- with my family and friends...

Comment

I've been on Leo's case for a while now, mainly because of his opponent choices and performances against them (vs. Cayetano on May/Pac almost put me to sleep), but also because honestly didn't think he was that good.

But he massively impressed me yesterday, got me to change my mind on him. I'm still not gonna 'support' the guy but I'd love to see him fight again. Great show.

Comment

Great fight. I was very impressed and surprised by LSC.

Comment

gREAT FIGHT...

Comment

Wasn't that impressed...
                  He didn't make any huge adjustment outside of using distance... Which he should have been utilizing in the first place!!!!! His inside work is God Awful. It was a entertaining fight but i wasn't truly impressed by either outside of Santa Cruz work rate. Any more well rounded fighter with not such a large size difference would put a whooping to Cruz. Period!!!

Comment

great fight!!

Comment

Working...
                    X