No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire-Darchinyan II, More: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Donaire-Darchinyan II, More: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - The term ‘full circle’ is often used figuratively.

This weekend, it couldn’t be more literal.

In 2007, then-undefeated IBF Flyweight titlist Vic Darchinyan accepted the challenge of Nonito Donaire. The memorable bout, a fifth-round knockout win for Donaire, sent both men’s careers in different directions.

It turned out both those directions were of an upward trajectory. Now, all these years later, all sorts of weight divisions later, they meet again with one or both of their careers threatened by the inevitable downward arc. Donaire, the younger and naturally larger man, is expected to reroute his trajectory after being badly outclassed earlier this year by Cuba’s Guillermo Rigondeaux.

Darchinyan has made fools many times of men who doubted him. Can he have the last laugh, and long awaited revenge, over the first man to defeat him? [Click Here To Read More]

Somewhere in the back of Darchinyan's mind he knows what Donaire can do to him. Being careful will not help him avoid a repeat.

Comment

Great analysis, but two of the grades are a bit off imo.

1) Darch's power. He can obviously still crack, but A is a bit too high for a fighter that hasn't scored a stoppage against anyone of substance in almost four years. B+ would be more like it.

2) Donaire's intangibles. The Rigo fight has shown that Donaire doesn't have a plan B, and he never really went for broke, even when he knew he needed a KO to win. He didn't even really follow up on the KD he scored in the 11th. He deserves no better than a B imo.

What I'm really hoping for is that Donaire shows improvement and some new tools. To have a chance in a Rigo rematch, he has to make at least some changes to his style.

Comment

Hopefully Vic doesn't beat him too badly. I wanna see a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Barty
          Great analysis, but two of the grades are a bit off imo.

1) Darch's power. He can obviously still crack, but A is a bit too high for a fighter that hasn't scored a stoppage against anyone of substance in almost four years. B+ would be more like it.

2) Donaire's intangibles. The Rigo fight has shown that Donaire doesn't have a plan B, and he never really went for broke, even when he knew he needed a KO to win. He didn't even really follow up on the KD he scored in the 11th. He deserves no better than a B imo.

What I'm really hoping for is that Donaire shows improvement and some new tools. To have a chance in a Rigo rematch, he has to make at least some changes to his style.
          You're right about Vic's power. Not to mention his size and that he's fighting at 126.

And it wasn't just in the Rigo fight that Donaire showed he doesn't have a plan B. In fights prior to that one he would get frustrated if he couldnt get the guy out early.

Posted from krikya360.com App for Android

Comment

@respect.power

@respect.power why are you always talking about Donaire like he nothing?
            I think it's time for you to put up or shut up you big wimp.

Comment

@respect.power You pansy

Comment

Filipino haters

There is a natural tendency on these boxing sites to get personal. It happens often with Filipino and now Eastern European fighters. The typical haters are red neck and ****** a holes who pick a fighter based on skin color or in the case of European fighters, whether or not they are "commies." There are only 3 openly communist countries these days and they are not Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Germany or the like. And not one of these countries have fighters that go "yo yo yo da b i t ch is a ho" or flushes money down a toilet or makes a you tube screwing hookers.

If that is your idea of class go for it but keep your ignorant rants to yourself and off a boxing site. I would much rather appreciate a fighters skill then his "grill."

Get with it you morons. Only in the USA do we do this. We make ourselves a target of the world. Have some self respect and some pride. Jesus.

Donaire will beat Darchinyan tonight. He will go on to dismantle Rig in a rematch if he can get. Anyone but a hater could see Nonito had a real off night and a rotten training camp.

Be a fan not a stereotype.

Comment

^ Cuba is not openly communist?

Posted from krikya360.com App for Android

Comment

I just want to say that I always enjoy reading these prefight report cards so thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X