No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Pongsaklek Wonjongkam

By Cliff Rold - More name and reputation than reality for many of the fight fans taking their boxing news in English, it was still jarring to read the result. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam had been the most consistent force in the Flyweight division for more than a decade. He wasn’t supposed to lose to journeyman Sonny Boy Jaro.

But he did. Badly.

Eventually, they all lose badly to someone if they stick around long enough. The most accomplished Thai battler of his generation, Wonjongkam was pushed into the dark part of his career twilight. The shadow of defeat looms large and debate begins about how to regard the overall picture of his ring tenure even with the, probably slim, possibility that there may yet be more chapters written.

In the wake of the brutal end of his second reign, the question is posed:

How good is Wonjongkam, measured against all-time? [Click Here To Read More]

The Thai Boxer was good enough to be ranked #7 PFP by Ring ****zine;
    There's always UPSET, in any Sports;

The accomplishment of the Thai Boxer was worthy enough to recognize him as one those great Boxers in Asia.

Comment

excellent, excellent write up. and i agree with the conclusion.

Comment

If Pone isn't in Pong shouldn't get in either.....

Comment

This was an incredible article.

Comment

War El Chino on estrogen!!

Comment

That was a really nice summary about Wonjongkam. Cliff Rold is the best journalist on here by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                This was an incredible article.
                I agree. Cliff definitely did his homework on this one.

Comment

I can't see how Wonjongkam can be considered for the HOF.

He has a good - above average resume at best.

I've been defending him on here for the last week or so with the idiots who haven't followed his career talking nonsense about him.

Hell, anyone I speak with regularly on here will tell you I've followed a large portion of Wonjongkam's career. It took him way too long to get on the P4P list and supported it 100% when he finally got on there.

But his resume is not even close to strong enough to be HOF. It's just not.

Inducting Wonjongkam because the likes of Mark Johnson have been inducted only furthers the problem. Then the inductees get weaker and weaker and weaker "Because he got in".

We have guys like Pone Kingpetch, Eddie Booker, Bert Lytell, Tiger Jones, etc the list goes on an on and on of genuine HOF calibur fighters who are yet to be inducted yet the HOF is being filled with fighters who have resume's that are really nothing special.

Comment

who is this kid? never heard of him put him back in grade school where he belongs. Looks like a ten year old can he be a jockey?

Comment

Working...
                    X