No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Solomon Shows More Fire, Continues To Climb at 147

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: Solomon Shows More Fire, Continues To Climb at 147

By Cliff Rold - Extending his unbeaten to ledger to seventeen contests, 27-year old Brad Solomon (17-0, 7 KO) of Lafayette, Louisiana, used an awkward attack, strong infighting, and obvious desire to score a decisive ten-round unanimous decision over the 30-year old nephew of the great Bernard Hopkins, Demetrius Hopkins (30-2-1, 11 KO) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Friday night at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Café in Hollywood, Florida.

Hopkins initially missed the Welterweight limit for the fight before scaling at 147. Solomon came in under the limit at a cut 145 ˝. The referee was Tommy Kimmons.

Hopkins began the first illustrating his greater professional experience, focused and steady where Solomon fought on edge, tense. Those nerves meant Solomon was leading, his left jab snaking and a wide right catching Hopkins at mid-ring just inside the halfway mark. Hopkins just missed with a couple of one-twos in the closing seconds. [Click Here To Read More]

Was at the fight, Solomon looked pretty impressive and I'm excited for his future, but he definitely is going to need to fight in a little more controlled manner as he moves up into fighting legitimate top tier contenders. He lunges in to throw big over hand rights that leave him open to counter left hooks that Hopkins was able to capitalize on from time to time but ultimately not enought to impact the outcome of the fight. He scored his best shots when working behind his jab and throwing his left hook rather than selling out for the right. However the two scores of 99-91 do not do justice to the high level competitive fight I watched. The other televised undercard between Barthelemy and Ruiz was an all action entertaining slugfest. The other fight I watched between McCall and Boswell was interesting and entertaining in spots, but I always have mixed emotions watching a game but clearly faded fighter such as McCall still fight at this point in his in life.

Comment

Working...
    X