Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBO rankings: examining and explaining the changes for September 2024

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: WBO rankings: examining and explaining the changes for September 2024

Throughout the month, we keep track of the rankings put forth by the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO. In this installment, we look at the WBO's latest rankings, which were released on September 24, 2024.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Just a few questions:

Is it normal for someone in AJ's place to fall so far in the rankings after a loss? He dropped 6 spots and pushed a few guys up, some whom I don't think deserve a bump up. I had to look up who Justis Huni is and the only name on Moses Ituama's record is old man Marius Wach.

Same with Hutchinson, he drops 5 spots to be behind Jean Pascal? As noted Pascal hasn't won a fight at LHW in over 2 years.

How is Anthony Yarde #1 at LHW when he hasn't fought at 175 since Jan '23 and hasn't won at LHW since Nov '22?

Erik Bazinyan falls 8 places after losing to Munguia but Berlanga only loses 1 spot after losing to Canelo? What's up with that?

TJ Doheny went from #2 to nonexistent for losing to Inoue?

I don't normally take a look at rankings and how they move so all of this is new to me.

Comment

These rankings are a mixture of the likeliness one is to fight for a world title along with skills. It also depends on how they lost, along with their potential likeliness to comeback.

For example, Daigo Higa age 29 who was number 1 that fought Takei and lost a very close decision only went down to 3, as there is still a very good possibility he gets another crack within 2-3 years.

Joshua lost miserably but he's still not ancient, and as an UK product he could still have another chance at a title due to a voluntary choice.

As for Doheny, given his age and career they probably assumed he'd unofficially retire or even if he doesn't officially retire they deemed him unlikely to fight for a world title ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
        Just a few questions:

Is it normal for someone in AJ's place to fall so far in the rankings after a loss? He dropped 6 spots and pushed a few guys up, some whom I don't think deserve a bump up. I had to look up who Justis Huni is and the only name on Moses Ituama's record is old man Marius Wach.

Same with Hutchinson, he drops 5 spots to be behind Jean Pascal? As noted Pascal hasn't won a fight at LHW in over 2 years.

How is Anthony Yarde #1 at LHW when he hasn't fought at 175 since Jan '23 and hasn't won at LHW since Nov '22?

Erik Bazinyan falls 8 places after losing to Munguia but Berlanga only loses 1 spot after losing to Canelo? What's up with that?

TJ Doheny went from #2 to nonexistent for losing to Inoue?

I don't normally take a look at rankings and how they move so all of this is new to me.
        ———
        I think promotional outfits have a huge influence on such. Money is always the key thing.

Comment

Working...
        X