Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well has boxing worked for you in a street fight ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well has boxing worked for you in a street fight ?

Did you know anyone who has used Boxing in a street fight how well did it work for them ? What were they level of boxing ? Were they recreational boxers or amateur or professionals ?

very well, most if not all street fights involve alcohol so i always train loaded up just to make sure i can deliver that shot and then get out of there quick

Comment

Its better to learn wrestling moves as once a guy grabs you are wrapped up in cocoon until you are separated see Joshua extending his fight with DDD about 2 or 3 rounds extra by grabbing him whenever he got in close.

John Ruiz made a run at heavyweight based on this too.

Comment

I'm no Kimbo Slice and never was but the few scraps I've had involved very little clean punching ant a whole lot of grappling.

That being said, It's good to know how to throw punches with proper technique and have some defensive awareness (not leave your chin in the air).
        garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

I would believe the greatest asset a boxer would have in a street fight would be remaining calm under the heat of battle. But wrestling experience would offer more of a tactical advantage.
          Smash Smash likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
            I'm no Kimbo Slice and never was but the few scraps I've had involved very little clean punching ant a whole lot of grappling.

That being said, It's good to know how to throw punches with proper technique and have some defensive awareness (not leave your chin in the air).
            What was your level of boxing ?

Comment

Don't get into street fights. Period. Street fights are all about ego. Let it go and walk away. Get yourself home without injury and without getting arrested.

A self defense situation is different. For that, yes, boxing can be quite helpful. It doesn't mean it's the only martial art that is useful, nor is it always the best. But any martial art that features live training/competition against a fully resisting opponent in a freeform setting (boxing, most styles of wrestling, most styles of kickboxing, judo, BJJ, sambo, etc) is going to help you in a real fight. Ideally you pick a practical striking style and a practical grappling style and become competent at both. Boxing and judo pair very well together, BJJ and muay thai are a popular combination, freestyle wrestling and K1 kickboxing, mix and match, whatever.

It should go without saying, but unless you actually practice fighting you don't know how to fight. So yeah, a trained person is going to fare better than an untrained person.
              Last edited by famicommander; 09-22-2024, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieWild114 View Post

What was your level of boxing ?
                Not much in pure boxing, basics and some sparring. I trained in Muay Thai in my late teens for several years, wrestled for about fifteen years (mostly folk, but also freestyle and Greco-Roman for my club). In my 20s, I would spar with a fairly accomplished amateur who provided me alot of humbling (not a bad thing).

I mentioned in another discussion thread that boxing taught me that I didn't like getting punched in the face (or the body for that matter). I will leave that to others a bit tougher than me.
                WillieWild114 WillieWild114 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                  Don't get into street fights. Period. Street fights are all about ego. Let it go and walk away. Get yourself home without injury and without getting arrested.

A self defense situation is different. For that, yes, boxing can be quite helpful. It doesn't mean it's the only martial art that is useful, nor is it always the best. But any martial art that features live training/competition against a fully resisting opponent in a freeform setting (boxing, most styles of wrestling, most styles of kickboxing, judo, BJJ, sambo, etc) is going to help you in a real fight. Ideally you pick a practical striking style and a practical grappling style and become competent at both. Boxing and judo pair very well together, BJJ and muay thai are a popular combination, freestyle wrestling and K1 kickboxing, mix and match, whatever.

It should go without saying, but unless you actually practice fighting you don't know how to fight. So yeah, a trained person is going to fare better than an untrained person.
                  The bold is very, very good advice.
                  WillieWild114 WillieWild114 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post

Yes even if you win you could lose with thousands of dollars of legal fees and if you lose you could lose big ie die or get a brain injury there is no referee to break up a mismatch and it is up to your opponent to have the discretion to back off a vanquished foe.

Comment

Working...
                    X