Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Richard Torrez Jr. blends unexpected multitudes with his heavy hands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to forget when he was brutally stopped by Jalolov in the amateurs. He fought better in the rematch but that's a tough matchup for him.

I like Torrez, although I'm not sure if he's more gimmick than legitimate contender...whatever he is, he's fun to watch as he blows through outmatched opposition. In some ways I think of Jeremy Williams, who was another smallish heavyweight with fast, heavy hands. Ultimately Jeremy's limitations were found out.

Comment

Originally posted by Plick647 View Post
      He needs like 2 years/15ish fights. he'll get there if he doesn't mess up OUTside the ring.
      He just might be the new Great White Hope, with the "adult film star" mustache to boot!
      The great White hope!? there is no need for a White hope.

The heavyweight division was dominated by the Klitschkos for 2 decades and the guy who dethroned Wlad was!? you guessed it White.

And the real heir apparent Usyk is!? would you believe it, White.

What you really mean is the American White hope but he's not white, well I guess he is really considered Mexicans are like 70+% European or at least the majority are.

But if you're being honest with yourself Wilder was the American "Black hope" but it's socially unacceptable to say that despite the fact you hadn't had a champion who'd successfully defended the belt since Lamont Brewster.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
        It's hard to forget when he was brutally stopped by Jalolov in the amateurs. He fought better in the rematch but that's a tough matchup for him.

I like Torrez, although I'm not sure if he's more gimmick than legitimate contender...whatever he is, he's fun to watch as he blows through outmatched opposition. In some ways I think of Jeremy Williams, who was another smallish heavyweight with fast, heavy hands. Ultimately Jeremy's limitations were found out.
        His handlers probably feel the same way you do, otherwise why would he be fighting nobodies four years after the Olympic games? He should be fighting someone with a pulse by now, someone who can punch back.

Comment

As an American, I am truely hoping that Richard Torrez Jr. keeps climbing, and reaches contendership. He's got awesome amateur pedigree, great power, superb hand speed, and the kind of personality that guarantees him superstardom when he arrives.
          He's very intelligent, which is a great tool for learning and broadening technique, and he's a very serious adult; unlike Jarrell Miller, who simply isn't.

He's number 5 in the US after only 10 fights, and while that doesn't carry the weight it used to; his status in the "King of the World nation" will matter more and more as he continues to climb up towards the title.

At 6'2" 235, and rock solid, he is the same size as Britain's new darling Moses Itauma, also 10-0 but lacking the same amateur tutorials and power; and I'd like to see THAT match-up any time, now or later.
          He's too wide across the back to ever get down to Cruiserweight ever, although; if he struggles against giant heavyweights as he continues his ascent; Bridgerweight/SuperCruiserweight might be an option.

All the best to this welcome addition to the ranks!!!!
          Last edited by Willow The Wisp; 09-20-2024, 03:10 PM.
          HeyDeebo! A.B Counterhooks likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Boro View Post

The great White hope!? there is no need for a White hope.

The heavyweight division was dominated by the Klitschkos for 2 decades and the guy who dethroned Wlad was!? you guessed it White.

And the real heir apparent Usyk is!? would you believe it, White.

What you really mean is the American White hope but he's not white, well I guess he is really considered Mexicans are like 70+% European or at least the majority are.

But if you're being honest with yourself Wilder was the American "Black hope" but it's socially unacceptable to say that despite the fact you hadn't had a champion who'd successfully defended the belt since Lamont Brewster.
            They are European don’t count
            Boro Boro likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
              They are European don’t count
              Sounds about right if it isn't American it doesn't count

Comment

Torrez might have his hands full tonight with dawejko, tough seasoned philly fighter. I think this one goes to a decision.

Comment

Good fighter !! Im going with Torrez win by ref stoppage R8 or 9

Comment

Working...
                  X