<#webadvjs#>

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Did We Survive In a Pre-BoxRec World?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments Thread For: How Did We Survive In a Pre-BoxRec World?

[Click Here To Read More]

This is basically a, "how did we survive before the internet" type article. We had encyclopedias, and almanacs, maps, and basically remembered stuff. I was always that guy that people came to for random history or sports facts; that was what I was into and I have a good memory. Nowadays, google can just fill that need.

Comment

Tell us something we don't already know.
      SMH, the crap articles that are showing up these days here.

Comment

back in the days as a promoter you would have an account at FightFax and order all the fight faxes for your show to send to the commission for approval. Back then though you didnt really need BoxRec that much because you had matchmakers like Johnny Bos or Jimmy Waldrop and other guys like them who just KNEW things. So you would just call them and say a name and they could instantly tell you about that guys last 5 fights, or a 6 rounder he fought off-tv last year in Boise. Those guys were walking encyclopedias. They also knew exactly how to match, and how to develop a fighters skillset at the correct pace. Theres still a few left, guys like trampler, bottjer, brad goodman, a few others, but good matchmakers are becoming extinct......

Comment

I actually enjoyed the article. I have been watching boxing for 34 years but never really thought about this before. I really do not remember not having BoxRec. This is a nice insight of how things used to be.

Comment

Great article.
            SteelFist01 SteelFist01 likes this.

Comment

This guy thinks he’s old-school but he’s a complete noob. Back in my day we passed fight records around on clay tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post
                This guy thinks he’s old-school but he’s a complete noob. Back in my day we passed fight records around on clay tablets.
                Clay tablet? You were lucky. We were evicted from our gym hole in the ground. We had to go fight in a lake!
                SteveM SteveM likes this.

Comment

Although I have an account with boxrec I don’t really use it for general use……the most important thing I use it for to check the weights of the fighter and say his opponents and what they weighed in past fights…..it’s very good to know other than that I can live without it

Comment

Ever since Boxrec fighters and trainers think this is a good thing it just shows without this don’t picks unless has a losing record

Comment

Working...
                    X