Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Did We Survive In a Pre-BoxRec World?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(FIGHTFAX) Anibal Miramontes

Comment

They just used to tell us the fighters' records on the TV *shrug*.

Comment

Boxrec is terrible, to many inactive old randoms make the top 10, not long ago Ortiz was back in the top 10.
        I only look at the ring & tbrb

Comment

This guy DKSAB back in my day we listened to Pa’s ol’ transistor and when the verdict was announced we’d have run 15.5 miles to use the phone!!! Kids nowadays have it made!!!

Comment

Great article! Very nostalgic and brings back memories of when I started following the sport more closely. Boxrec was established and I was able to educate myself about upcoming and past events.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
              Boxrec is terrible, to many inactive old randoms make the top 10, not long ago Ortiz was back in the top 10.
              I only look at the ring & tbrb
              I don't think anybody really cares about BoxRec's computerized rankings. It's just useful to be able to click through a database that has a fighter's record, his opposition, his belt history, etc. You can see the scorecards, the weigh-in results, the names of the judges and refs, the results of the other fights on the card, etc. Often times they'll even list if someone got dropped or cut or deducted a point in a particular fight.
              pnut901 pnut901 Scooby817 Scooby817 like this.

Comment

I usually use boxrec for Schedules & results even if the results can be a little late.
                Love the way the've ignored the rediculous WBC bridgerweight division & ruffled Mauricio Sulaiman's feathers!!........

Comment

Originally posted by leebatt View Post

Clay tablet? You were lucky. We were evicted from our gym hole in the ground. We had to go fight in a lake!
                  Fight in a lake you say? You don't know the half of it!
                  In my day we used to fight on a slippery slab of rock suspended above a pool of molten lava.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip jab View Post
                    This guy DKSAB back in my day we listened to Pa’s ol’ transistor and when the verdict was announced we’d have run 15.5 miles to use the phone!!! Kids nowadays have it made!!!
                    I remember seeing you running uphill , barefoot , in a blizzard , past my house in Possum Holler , it was uphill both ways to the phone and back. The phone was two cans on a long string from Tater Junction to Frog Notch.

Comment

I can't say this ever came up in my mind growing up watching boxing. When I found out about boxrec's existence, I definitely went to look up a lot of fighter records. If anything, I miss going to the bookstores and going through the latest Ring ****zine. I'm not even sure they're carried anymore, but I miss that. The hardest part is that they're basically coming with out of date information since the internet is updated in seconds.

I'd still read one if they had it, just because the photos they include with the articles and whatnot were always really well captured.

Comment

Working...
                      X